Ruffle Monster


This beautiful beast was inspired by Inara, my brother’s niece by marriage. She calls me “Aunt Becky,” even though I'm not actually her aunt in any legal or blood way. Oh, how I love the sound of her sweet voice saying a label that I’ve hardly earned.




Extended family is so special, it’s hard to describe, and harder still to explain to people who don’t have as much as we do. Frank’s in-laws became part of my extended family, along with our 22 first cousins (some of whom are almost like siblings to us), and their 45 kids (many of whom are like nieces and nephews to us), all of which I delight in using to confuse my students.


Frank’s wife, Kelly, died in 2012, which for some would mean the end of in-law relationships. Instead, a beautiful thing happened, a new closeness. Shortly after Kelly’s funeral, Frank told me that his sister-in-law, Rebekah, had said to him, “You are still uncle to our kids, you will always be their uncle.” Also, Frank later told me that he has become better friends now with Kyle, his brother-in-law, than he ever was before. I felt this to be so meaningful, I couldn’t stop myself from becoming a kind of aunt for two kids I barely knew. And would soon come to deeply love.

Uncle Frank is thrilled to be posing with Ruffle Monster.

When 7 year old Inara took an interest in some of my smaller crochet projects, I was delighted. During Thanksgiving break of 2019, she'd sit with me (more like, sit on me) and watch as I created a mini blanket for her doll. She asked great questions, and made smart observations about the process, even though her little hands couldn’t quite yet handle the stitches. After watching me make a basic ruffle (3 sc stitches in 1 chain stitch), she announced that she would like to have a crocheted piece with, and I quote, “a ruffle on a ruffle on a ruffle on a ruffle.” I doubted that anything like that had ever been done, but I immediately knew such a monstrosity must now be created.


Eventually, Ruffle Monster and I consumed the couch.


I told her I would have it ready for her by Valentine’s Day.
I just barely made it in time.


After finishing this fantastic project, I admit, it was a relief to box it up and send it away. 😅  But I still often think of it, and I'm so grateful for and delighted with the whole experience of it. I learned so much, and it continues to influence my creative work. Because of Ruffle Monster, I was inspired to create something just as colorfully fun, but a little less monstrous: Color Buffet . That is a direct descendant of Ruffle Monster. And this page, Color Blast, shows other items inspired by and descended from all those ruffles and rainbows that the monster made possible. 

Of all the items I have ever created, Ruffle Monster is absolutely the most... um, definitely the... uh, seriously the very most... uh... hmmm... something. I don’t know what. I just don’t have words.😍


(Ruffles)^4 + Sparkle + Rainbow Colors + Crochet = (Undefined)(Awesomeness)^2

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Ruffle

Gran'zilla