Mega Granny Square


This granny square helped me adjust to my new life after Mom was gone. A few months into my Colorado relocation, this was the first thing I started creating. I like to think that she would have enjoyed watching me make it. She might have wanted it herself...she always liked to have a lap blanket over her knees. Even in summer. 😄


The basic pattern for a small granny square is such a quick and easy mini-project, I immediately decided to go once more around the square. And then once more. And then again. From there, it was easy to see that continuing on with this easy pattern was going to make something big and beautiful.



I had no idea it would be THIS big and beautiful! 😄



I love how it drapes like a cloak when it hangs from the center.





I love the look of it when it hangs from one corner.


I don’t like to leave this hanging up, though, because I worry that the weight of it will stretch it out too much. It already has a bit of a lop-sided feel to it… because my amateur crochet skills don’t make straight tight granny squares yet. I need more practice.



I enjoyed every minute of working on this. Long have I loved working on granny squares: Granny Square Greatness. Granny squares are the perfect focus for quieting a noisy mind. And look at those corners! I love it when I crochet a perfect corner.






A number of different color names are possible here. Every time I think about this project, I decide that it should be called a different color . The yarn company labeled it “pale plum,” and I do appreciate that lovely name... but “plum” just isn’t right, and putting “pale” in front of it seems like cheating. Lilac comes to mind… but when I look at images of the flower, the color doesn’t quite match. Periwinkle is a color I feel like I remember from my crayon box of almost 50 years ago… but when I look at images of that flower, it doesn’t match either. Perhaps my memory isn’t what it used to be. 😎 Mauve is a possibility, as are thistle and orchid. All of these names could have “pale” added to them, and I think in every case, that would take care of it. Oh, how I do love to think about colors.




Palest Purple + Granny Square = Creative Cool Color Crochet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Ruffle

Gran'zilla

Ruffle Monster