Granny Square Greatness



Six years ago?! No way. Someone has added wrong. It cannot be six years already since I crocheted this great group of granny squares. When these photos appeared today in my "Throwback Thursday" newsfeed of memories, I just had to shake my head, and try to deny it. Ah, those memories. Blurry photos (miss that old camera, an actual little camera), lame poses, bad lighting... Ok, yea, that was me. I do have to chuckle over how even back then, without a blog to post photos on, I was already trying to pose the crochet piece. 😁👍


What a big fun beast this was to work on, night after night, that cold Wisconsin winter. The box of tissues there for scale (above photo) gives you an idea of how big this thing is after it was all assembled.  I remember those weeks so well, and absolutely loved snuggling down each evening to work on another square. Thirty nights in a row, I practiced a different technique (like the tbl stitch, through the back loop) or solved a problem (like corner perfection!) or experimented with some new thing I was curious about (like alternating a tbl row with a front loop row). Each square took about an hour to make, so there is about 30 hours of creative energy in this creation. Plus a few more hours of edging, and then the final assembly which seemed to take forever, but I think was actually only one long evening. 😎


Pay no attention to my bad hair cut and dorky glasses (today I still have variations of both) in the above photo. Because, hey! There's my snuggly housecoat that Mom gave me for Christmas that year! I loved that housecoat. Can't find fuzzy plaid like that anywhere nowadays. 😁


I loved snuggling with this beast, it was perfect for wrapping up in, and it folded perfectly in a neat pile at the end of the couch. Mom watched me make many of the squares, as several weekends in a row I brought my work over to her place. She advised me on the colors, and she liked discussing the techniques and textures I was exploring. When it was all assembled, it was way to heavy and bulky for her, so I kept it for myself. Mine, all mine. 😎 It moved with me a couple times, to new apartments in Wisconsin, but then when I made the big move to Colorado, I decided to give it away. Free, to a good home.  😍❤




I remember the inspiration for this piece. I had been so impressed by the Glorious Granny Square Work Of Art baby blanket that my cousin, Cathy, had crocheted for her niece, I decided to venture into the creative experience myself. Cathy had designed a fantastic assortment of little granny squares, all with perfectly complementing textures and colors, and some with sweet baby adornments. Even just stacked up in little sections of like patterns, it was a marvel to behold. In person, I only saw it un-assembled that way. I remember the color scheme included gray, pink, and white. I later saw photos of the final masterpiece, and it is kind of misty unreal in my mind. All assembled, it was so beautiful, and so inspiring, it still influences me today. If you're lucky, and if you ask Cathy nicely, you might be able to get a glimpse of it, maybe an old photo somewhere?! 😎 


Yesss!! I asked nicely, and my dearest sweet Cousin Cathy sent me three photos of her past work! Look how gorgeous, precious, and perfect this baby blanket is! Can you stand it?! Those granny squares are flawless, and I can only continue to dream of being this creatively awesome. 


Look at that colorful expanse!! A perfect square of 49 granny squares. Ruffled edge, flawless. Alternating colors in a pattern so perfect, it requires a mathematical description. Love those adorning flowers on every other square. Love that color scheme. Detail in the stitches (below) proves that Cathy is a creative genius. And if granny square perfection isn't enough proof of that, then check out THIS amazing creative and caring endeavor: Divine House Face Masks  "Let's take care of each other as we navigate our new world." Thanks to Cathy, I have a selection of gorgeous, comfortable, and snazzy masks, for different seasons and every wardrobe option. 




Granny Squares + Earth Tones + Baby Blankets + Memories + Loving Care = Creative Crochet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Ruffle

Gran'zilla

Ruffle Monster