Simplest Scarf

 


The very first thing I ever crocheted looked something like this. I think. Maybe. I remember it was shades of purple (my favorite color), and it was a simple scarf (Mom taught me). My memories of age 11 get muddled up with my dreams and fantasies, however, and it might be that the first scarf I crocheted looked less like this finished project and more like a bungled mess of purple spaghetti. 



In the summer of 2019, my brother and I traveled together to visit our childhood home of Sitka, Alaska. We hadn’t been back in over 30 years, and it was a delightful adventure for us both. All the things that looked exactly the same as how we remembered, and so many things that were completely new and different. We were excited like school children to see that our old favorite Ben Franklin store was still there on the main street downtown, still selling the same kinds of items. And I was particularly excited to see that they had an expanded crafts section in the back - filled with yarn!


I purchased a skein of what I thought was the color scheme I first used so many decades ago. Not caring that the brand didn’t exist back then. And I smashed this special skein in my overpacked luggage, bringing it all the way from Alaska. Not caring that I can get the exact same yarn here in Colorado. It was the memory that counts, the connection to Mom and Sitka and learning to crochet. It makes perfect sense if you let yourself get just a little bit sentimental.



Purple Medley + Memories of Mom = Simple Lovely Crochet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Ruffle

Gran'zilla

Ruffle Monster