Candy Cane Ruffle

 


This sweet piece is my first public showing! 🤩 In the Visitor's Center office 😄 on the first floor of the CSUP Library! 😎 I'm pretty sure this officially makes me a crochet artist now. 🤔 With my work on display for all the people to see. 😍 I can't stop grinnin'. 😁  


There is a happy backstory to this colorful yarn. It is the "free to good home" kind of yarn. 😄 Kenny, one of our university librarians, keeps a lost-and-found assortment of items on a shelf behind the front desk. He called me over one morning and handed this odd ball to me! 😋 It was rather rumpled - loose'ish and a teeny bit unraveled, and had no label on it. But otherwise perfectly good. Clean, brand new, just lost. Needing a good home. Well, it found one! 😍 Of course, I gladly accepted this little Christmas gift, because I knew immediately what I needed to do - make something sweet and bring it BACK to the library for decoration. 😎


Aw, look how fantastic the festive decorations (above) are at the Visitor's Center ! 😎 And look how totally wimpy my crochet piece (below) is compared to that gorgeous tree. 😄 Like, uh, does the candy cane ruffle even cover a thousandth of this column?! 😆 Ah, well, no matter. It's Christmas. 

The above placement is a perfectly good way to pose this piece. 😆



I got so much relaxing enjoyment out of making this easy, sweet piece. 😎 And because the yarn was on special, "Free To Good Home," it is all the sweeter. 😍  Here's a whole folder of way too many pics, showing how much fun I had with this piece: Candy Cane Ruffle.


My love of ruffles is well established, starting with Ruffle Monster. Ah, yes, love that beautiful beast. 😍 Nuthin' but ruffle. And here's a sampling of my other love affairs with ruffles: the ruffled strap on Hippie Princess Beach Bag, the lace-like ruffled edge of Blue and Blue, the ridiculous ruffle-fest of Peach Perfect, dude. Whoa. I just now used the search bar in the upper right corner of this blog, and it brought up 31 posts that have the label "ruffles." I guess I do kinda love ruffles. 😎


To make this piece, I made a long starting chain, and then single crocheted my way down two down rows. On that base, I treble crocheted the ruffle, four and five stitches per base stitch. That made for a super fluffy ruffle. When I ran out of the Christmas colors, I kept going, with white yarn that I had on hand. That matched perfectly, adding a touch of snowy'ness to the piece.


I had so much white yarn, I kept going with the ruffle, and made it quadruple crochet, just to see what that would look like. There was already so much ruffle, you almost can't tell that the quadruple stitch makes even more ruffle. 


I left a non-ruffled section on one end (above right) to use as a tie, if needed. Now that I think about it, this could make the ultimate bow! 🎁


It makes for a perfect mantle piece (below).






I love how it looks with Christmas lights. 😍


Here are some other past projects with festive vibes: Centerpieces, Blue Christmas, Candy Snow.


Christmas Yarn + Creative Crochet = Colorful Fun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran'zilla

Ruffle Monster