Hippie Pillows

 


Wild'n'wacky color combinations like this are not just for hippies who like ruffles. These are also perfect for any bohemian, beatnik, and flower child who likes fluffy pillows. I had way too much fun making these far out pieces, and I would make more - except this yarn (Mandala Fluffy) has been discontinued. Ah, well, that's probably for the best.  😁


The pink-and-orange color scheme is called "Zebra Lionfish" and the purple-and-aqua color scheme is "Scorpionfish." Great names! Can't go wrong with color schemes based on tropical fish. 🤩 This yarn is a super bulky weight, also sometimes called jumbo. Very easy to handle, and it works up so fast, it's practically begging you to keep working it. 😎 I used a size J crochet hook, and it flowed right along smoothly.

I had thought that the fluffiness of this yarn might snag, and make it difficult to work with. But that never happened, and I remembered that I have already worked with this yarn, making Jelly Bean Cotton CandyIt is interesting that the bulk of this yarn along with the fuzz actually makes it NOT snag at all. Definitely a delight to work with.

Here are some close ups of the yarn, so that you can see the fuzzy fluff of it. 


It kinda reminds me of shag carpet. Can you dig it? 😎


Ruffle action, fluffy detail.


Check out the texture of those stitches! 



Aw, look! There's Princess Pillow and Baby Beast over there in the corner, trying to get in on this pillow pose. 😍

I have just a teeny bit left of each kind of yarn. Not sure what I'll do with these leftovers, but for now, they're just gonna hang out with all my other Colorful Leftovers. 😍  I might combine these two, for the ultimate hippie color scheme. 

The basic construction of these pillows is super easy: single crochet a rectangle, and then single crochet another rectangle of the same size. My size was exactly one cake of this yarn, but you can make it as big or small as you like. I had so many cakes of these two color schemes, I just wanted to use them up. So, there are two cakes in each pillow for the front and back pieces. Then, there are two-plus more cakes each for the ruffles. I made it a triple stitch ruffle, all the way around.

Stitch together the two rectangles, single crochet along the edges. I went around the edge again for another row, to give the ruffle a more sturdy base. Not necessary, but it does also make the pillow look a bit more finished. And bigger. 😋









Funky Fun + Colorful Combinations = Creative Crochet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Ruffle

Gran'zilla

Ruffle Monster