Moon Stone


Another "Shawl in a Cake" easy piece. I love making these. This shawl is actually a double shawl, because I used two cakes at once (see photos below). I wasn't sure if that was going to work, but once I got going with it, I was delighted. The varying lines of gray, silver, and white overlapped beautifully to give a final blend of shimmering stone, so light and magical looking, it surprised me. The double strand of yarn gives this piece a sturdiness that drapes perfectly. Gorgeous! 😍 



There is a thin metallic thread running through the yarn, and these photos just don't capture it. I promise, the sparkle is there. And the combination of the two cakes' color schemes creates a texture that looks marbled. Gorgeous! 😍 


The yarn company calls this color scheme "Om Opal." I do appreciate their peace-and-love vibe in naming color schemes (their "Namaste Neutrals" is what I called Caramel Mocha), but I have to (again) disagree here. Opal is an okay name, but it just doesn't have enough magic for me. This gorgeous, shimmering yarn has a vibe so mystical, it deserves a name more good-witch'y sounding. I was thinking about naming this piece "Gandalf the Grey," but I figured I better not, 'cuz copyright and whatever. 😋 So, I called it Moon Stone. I love it that arguing about naming color schemes is a thing. 😎


Say "yes!" to fringe fest! 😁 I have way too much fun with fringe. 😋 This yarn already has a metallic thread built in, but I decided for the fringe, I just needed to add a teeny bit more sparkle. I had some leftover novelty yarn (from past projects Gold and Silver and Egyptian Goddess), and I'm always looking for more ways to use it. That novelty yarn is a bit difficult to work with, because it is so snagg'y. I'm glad it's used up. And it was totally worth it.  Love those tiny sequins! 




I used to think that my decorative ladder was a lovely tone of warm grey. Now I realize that this ugly ladder has no color at all. 😋


This piece makes my jean jacket look like something the Queen of Winter might wear. 😎




I had way too much fun posing this piece.😎



I also enjoyed taking some process photos. I love how the geometry of it unfolds. The two cakes started out so full and sturdy. It was fun to watch them slowly hollow out, and eventually collapse. As the rows continued building, the cakes gradually crumbled, and the strange symmetry of that is its own adventure in meditation.













When the cakes crumbled completely, I still had enough yarn left for all the fringe. These little cakes really do pack a little punch. 🤩



One last look at this lovely lady lounging around. 😍


Silver Sparkle + Extra Fringe = Crochet Bling

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Ruffle

Gran'zilla

Ruffle Monster