Turquoise Blue

 

Fine (for the body of the scarf) and extra fine (for the ruffle) are the weights of the yarns used in this lovely piece. There is a lot of yarn in this scarf, and it worked up very slowly. Worth it! The final result is deliciously delicate and so airy, it feels barely there around the neck.😎


The body of the scarf is all double crochet stitches, and the ruffle is four treble crochet stitches in every base stitch. I have to admit, sometimes I'd stuff one more treble crochet stitch in the ruffle, for a quintet! Every third or fourth base stitch, or so, I'd add that extra in there, for varied texture in the ruffle. Just having fun.😍

A yarn called "Beautiful You" (now discontinued, sad face) provided wonderful texture to the body, in a color the company called "Capri," but what I love calling turquoise blue. The ruffle is made of a yarn called "Amazing Lace" (also now discontinued, more sad face) in a color the company called "Turquoise Shell." I loved how both colors matched perfectly, and I knew I had to use them together.


The fine and extra fine weights of the yarns in this piece make for super softness in the overall form and feel of it. And it still holds its shape surprisingly well, for as lightweight as it is. It drapes beautifully and looks so elegant hanging or wrapped.


I think I made this scarf a little too long.😄 It turned out quite skinny. But that's ok. It has a long and lean look when all spread out, or when just hanging around. Then, when wrapped up, it has a completely different cute factor going on.




I took some process pictures as I was working on this piece, and in the early stages of it coming together, I absolutely loved handling it. As I continued, I loved it even more.😍




When it came time to start the ruffle, I wasn't sure at first if it was going to work. I knew the colors matched, but I couldn't tell if the different weights and textures would fit together. Well! As you can see here, I had nothing to worry about. Everything worked so well together, this project has given me some ideas for future possibilities in combining weights.




Here's a close-up of the two yarns (below). At this level, you can see why they worked so well together. I used a size D crochet hook for this piece, which is so skinny!😋


The cake of Amazing Lace isn't even half used up yet, so I have plenty more of this gorgeous color for another project in the future. Hmm...😎


I love the geometry of tightly packed cake of yarn as it works its way out. Fascinating to think of all those hundreds of yards of yarn, now worked up into a ruffle.😍


I thought about continuing the ruffle on the other edge, and maybe even adding a double ruffle. I certainly had plenty of Amazing Lace left to work all that. But as I was getting to the end of the first edge, I realized I liked the asymmetry of having the ruffle just on the one edge. Future projects will have other ruffle options.😊


Lacey Yarn + Turquoise Blue + Ruffle = Creative Crochet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Ruffle

Gran'zilla

Ruffle Monster