Spheres of Tranquility

 


So fun to make! These spheres look fantastically cool when you make a bunch and arrange them in some nerdy way - like planets and moons! 😁 I had made several of them a few years ago, in different sizes and spectacular color schemes, for my classroom. But I left them all behind at my previous school, and I am now wanting to make a new collection. I was feeling out of practice on this technique. So, I dug out my old friend, this excellent book:


- and immediately found the pattern I had used. Woo-hoo, I'm thinking about a whole new colorful set of these delightful spheres. I remember I made one that was almost as big as a volleyball, and that was my Jupiter example, so cool! Super excited to start working back up to a big geeky collection of these, now in all the colors of the exoplanets. 😎 These two little purple'y ones are just practice, to get back into it. I was quite rusty on remembering the pattern, and I had to keep checking the book every few stitches.  But I just needed to work through one complete, mistake-ridden sphere to get back in the swing of it. 😛


You do have to pay attention to the pattern, otherwise you end up with the lemon-shape like I did on my first try here (the plain purple one). But even a sphere full of mistakes is still a cutie-patootie, and I think I might purposely make a few warped ones to go along with my new collection of these gems. Because that would be like an asteroid - geek out! A crocheted asteroid is not a mistake, it is a legit project.  Any excuse to accept strays, leftovers, and imperfections. 😉


These little cuties worked up fast and easy. I plan on making many more, because they are just too cute, and because I have several dumpy, old pillows now washed and full of perfectly good lumpy stuffing. 😋  


I am thinking of different color schemes for various holidays and gift ideas. 


  I had way too much fun posing these pieces. I only have the two right now, so I just keep moving them around, and playing like a kitten with simple toys. 😎  The book called this project "No Stress Balls," and I just cannot accept that title. As a teacher of 8th grade boys, I do not want that phrase spoken out loud anywhere near me. 😜  So, I'm calling them "Spheres of Tranquility," and that is that.





A fun study of contrasting textures and colors: the wall, the sheet, and two kinds of yarn.


I plan on experimenting with the same basic pattern, making larger and smaller versions, plus trying variations of back-loop-only, front-loop-only, and both loops, to see how that changes the texture as it goes around the circle. Stay tuned!


Spheres + Colors + Crochet = Creative Fun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Candy Cane Ruffle

Gran'zilla

Ruffle Monster